Thursday, August 18, 2011

Late to the Party - Alisa's watching Mad Men

Mad Men
Director: various
Stars: Jon Hamm, Elisabeth Moss, and Connor from Angel
Watching on: Netflix streaming 

You should have seen my face the moment I found out that Mad Men was going to be streaming on Netflix. 
  
Yes, it was just like that.

Like most of the world I kept hearing what a great show it is.  It not only got nominated often but would win awards.  Jon Hamm, he of the ever present 5 o'clock shadow, is a talented actor and I've enjoyed him in everything I've seen of his.  I just never found myself making an effort.  This was probably due to my already busy TV dance card.  

So after getting through the first season I can now say that I see what all the fuss has been about.  The writing is very strong.  The acting (save for one actress I will never, ever like) is beyond solid.  The stories move along at a great pace.  The character development has been good.  I'd like to see more of the lives of some of the 2nd tier characters but I have a feeling that will be solved over the next few seasons.  We do get peeks now and then of those characters and they've just made me want more.

I'd also like to add how well they deal with the time period.  I want to believe they go overboard with the misogyny but I'm guessing it's pretty accurate.  I am getting a kick out of the costumes which don't look too costume-y.  I can't tell you how many outfits I've seen on the women in that show that look just like something my mom or aunts wore in the 60s. 

I can't wait to start season 2!

1 comment:

  1. Me too! I just watched the first few episodes last month.

    ReplyDelete