Saturday, August 20, 2011

Rental - The Adjustment Bureau

The Adjustment Bureau
Director: George Nolfi (who also wrote the screenplay)
Stars: Matt Damon and Emily Blunt

I liked this movie.  I'm realizing that I think I'm more into Philip K. Dick's stuff than I realized so I should probably read his books and short stories.  Towards the middle I kind of felt like it was a Wim Wenders movie but mostly because of the set-up of the shots.  Is that too obscure a reference? 

Anyway I think the best thing about the movie was the chemistry between Damon and Blunt.  She's one of those actresses that I want to dislike (she stole my man!) but I just keep liking her in stuff.  If you enjoy her work as well then watch Wild Target.  It's a very quirky comedy but she's adorable in it.  Anyway it was easy to believe that these two really, truly liked each other even though large time periods would pass.

The story line worked and it made me curious as to what was left out from Dick's original story.  Early on I was struck with similarities to The Matrix, Fringe, Sliding Doors, etc..  The overlying theme was pre-determination vs. choice which gets hotly contested, even in my immediate family. 

Oh!  I really liked Anthony Mackie who some might remember as Papa Doc in 8 Mile. Yeah!  He is such a solid actor and I'm glad he's getting lots of good work.

1 comment:

  1. I rented this this weekend and just never got around to watching it. Now I kinda wish I had.

    Great blog, girly!!! :)

    ReplyDelete