Monday, March 19, 2012

21 Jump Street

21 Jump Street
Directors: Phil Lord and Chris Miller
Stars: Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum

I'm gonna make this a quick review because I don't have much to say.  21 Jump Street was as funny as people are saying.  It definitely earned its "R" rating too so beware if you're a little shy about that kind of humor.

So it's pretty dang funny.  There were a number of things that I laughed out loud at and I was alone on a couple of them.  My lonely laughs were at the meta, self-aware type jokes. I'm ok with movies making fun of themselves and getting it out of the way early on and then getting into the meat of why they're there.  A lot of the laughs were in the trailer but rest assured they saved plenty of stuff for the movie too.  Oh and the cameos were perfect but sadly I may have been in the minority on their appreciation too. 

Plus it's an old-school buddy movie.  These two were born to partner up.  We know Hill is funny.  Heck, the dude helped write this film (well he's credited with the story at least).  But I'm glad Tatum is getting a chance to work his comedy acting chops.  He's one of those rare guys that's totally hot and totally up for throwing himself into any situation.  He doesn't mind being goofy or picked on or objectified.  He often gets a bad rap but I think his biggest problem is picking some so-so movies (GI Joe was not his fault).

And the movie is just well-done.  The pacing was good, not great, but good.  It was shot well and directed well, especially considering there are two directors.  The story was predictable but fine.  There was tons of chemistry all over the screen and not just in chem class.  Ha!  See what I did there?  Sorry.  My only problem is a small one and it was the eye-rolling cop stuff.  There's no reality in what they get away with in this movie but it doesn't matter.  If you go to 21 Jump Street in search of realistic police work then you're in the wrong theater.  If you want a raunchy, fun comedy, then you're in the absolutely right theater.  
 
Tracy had to see Project X this weekend.  She didn't hate it so go read her insightful review at Examiner.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment