Thursday, March 29, 2012

At the Movies with Steve: The Muppets

So my dad is in town for the weekend to watch the Final Four. In the meantime, we'll be watching some movies, and trust me, his commentary is not to be missed. So, without further ado, my dad's take on The Muppets, which he had never seen.

After the introduction of Jason Segal and Amy Adams's characters: "They've been dating for ten years? Yikes."

After the opening musical number: "Is there a lot of singing in this? Great. Gonzo is in it later, right?"

After I informed him that a song from the film won the Best Original Song Oscar: "Well that says a lot. Let's make ravioli."

After the cameo of Alan Arkin as a tour guide: "Is that Alan Arkin? Did you ever see The Heart is a Lonely Hunter where he plays some deaf guy? That was depressing."

After the appearance of Kermit's 80s robot: "Who is the voice for that? It sounds like George's secretary on Seinfeld."

During a lull in the action: "You know who was a good host on 'The Muppet Show'? John Denver."

After a succession of cameos including Selena Gomez, John Krasinski, and Neil Patrick Harris: "I'm sure this is what happens to celebrities before they turn up on Dancing with the Stars."

After the montage of Miss Piggy in Paris: "That's probably not Paris, but I wish I were in Paris. Let's have some more wine."

After I informed dad that Rashida Jones was the offspring of Quincy Jones and Peggy Lipton: "Well, she's very attractive."

Ten minutes later, when Rashida Jones again turns up on screen: "She's really quite attractive."

After Fozzie Bear debuts his "fart shoes": "That's funny. Might be a guy thing, but it's funny."

Out of nowhere, after Whoopi Goldberg shows up on screen: "Ah, Caryn Johnson."

As I'm quietly weeping during Kermit's rendition of "The Rainbow Connection": "Kermit is left-handed . . . just like all the cool people in the world." (Dad is left-handed.)

Dad's take on the movie: Funnier than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

1 comment:

  1. "Ah, Caryn Johnson." I about slipped out of my chair I laughed so hard. I missed this the first go round.

    ReplyDelete