Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey Quote of the Day

So I'll admit it--once FsoG brought the sexy (page 110, if you're on an efficiency reading plan), it rocked the mic right. Don't get me wrong--there's still major league cheese going on, but said cheese is usually in passages that would make me blush to transcribe. But there's something about the book that's making me mad (which is, in its small way, a victory for the book--I never thought I would take it seriously enough to become at all emotionally invested).

As it turns out, Christian Grey ain't no vampire. He is, in the words of our heroine "a complete freaky sadist or masochist." Dominant, as it turns out. Which, whatever, fine. But what bothers me is that his proclivities come packaged with a foundational trauma that Ana is desperate to unearth. Why can't he just be freaky? Why does it have to come from a place of abuse? But we're in the world of Lifetime Movies meets Skinemax, so messed-up he is. And today I reached the big reveal and our quote of the day:

"The woman who brought me into this world was a crack whore, Anastasia." 

Fifty Shades of trite, anyone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment