Friday, January 4, 2013

Django Unchained

I'm sick so I'm not in the mood to, you know...think.  Thus this will be a quickie review.

I enjoyed Django Unchained, directed by Quentin Tarantino, but then I tend to like all his films.  He has a formula, he sticks to it, and it usually works.  I have no real big complaints about the film.  It's violent as all get-out but then it's a Tarantino movie.  They use the N-word way too much but I'm guessing it was typical of the time.  It still bugged me, though.  The story of a newly freed slave who becomes a bounty hunter and searches for his wife on the plantations of the south, was fine.  My boss pointed out that the story could have taken place in 30 minutes.  He's probably right.  I wonder if anyone actually times actual story vs. filler in a Tarantino movie.  Of course the filler is usually cartoonish violence but the dude has flair for that kind of violence so you won't hear me complain.

Anywhoodle, all the pieces were there: good acting (especially from Leonardo DiCaprio), a fun revenge story, good directing, great camera work, etc.  They took the time to make people's teeth look gross and I appreciate that kind of detail, even if they were all still too straight.  So see it or don't.  I don't care.  All I care about is getting back into bed.

Oh and Happy 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment